Friday, March 13, 2015

Journey to Hungary (1)

Last week, I visited Hungary to attend an academic conference.


Hungary is located in Central Europe. It had been a nation of communism until 1989. Now it is Hungarian Republic. Hungary entered EU in 2004, but is still using its own currency, Forint. Many shops accept Euro as well.

The Danube River runs through the Budapest city, the capital of Hungary. I booked a room just east the Danube. The landscape was splendid.


Hungary is famous as a major provider of foie gras. Foie gras is made from liver of a goose. To make the liver fat-rich, the goose is forced to eat a large amount of food. Some people insist that this eccentric procedure deserves an abuse of animal. For this reason, several livestock raisers no longer provide foie gras. Now, Hungary is one of the largest providers of foie gras.

I have no particular opinion regarding animal right. It should be avoided to violate the lives of the animals without any purpose. However, it is the fate of human to kill animals to survive. I think that raising animals artificially so that we can eat animal meat more delightfully is justifiable.

Therefore, I decided to enjoy foie gras as much as possible. As a result, I ate it everyday during the stay at Budapest.

The first day, I went to Gundel, a famous restaurant. It was so luxury that I enjoy the dinner and live music. The players accepted my requests for some numbers such as Sabre Dance. It was a truly precious time.


The symbol of Gundel is an elephant. The butter was excellent.


The main dish was roasted duck.


I felt that Gundel was one of the best European restaurants. The only disadvantage was the cost.

(To be continued.)

No comments:

Post a Comment