Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Obligation chocolate at St Valentine's day

In Japan, St Valentine's day has been recognized as the day when women send chocolate to men. Originally, the chocolate was to express the love to a particular man. But many women tend to deliver chocolates to many male colleagues and bosses, so-called obligation chocolate.

Recently, this strange habit is diminishing in young ladies, according to the media.

Evening Standard: Japanese women push back against tradition that forces them to buy male colleagues Valentine's Day chocolates
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/japanese-women-push-back-against-tradition-that-forces-them-to-buy-male-colleagues-valentines-day-a4063236.html

I am indifferent to this habit since I got married. My wife thankfully gives me chocolate muffins on Feb 14th. It is my favorite sweet in the world. That's it.

Some of my colleagues send me chocolate. I am thankful to receive them. On the other hand, I do not remember who sent me the chocolate. I never discount the women who do not send chocolate.

By the way, Godiva, a famous chocolate company, said, “Tell the women in your office ‘don’t force yourself to give anyone giri choco.’” This comment is ironic. If you told such a thing to your subordinates, they would interpret it as a message to demand giri choco. I recommend you never take such a silly act.

No comments:

Post a Comment