Sunday, April 14, 2013

TOEFL for the first time

Today, I took an exam of TOEFL.
It is for the first time of mine.
I decided to take TOEFL in March. So I was preparing for TOEFL by 1 month.

I went to the nearest place of examination. It is in a private school for getting some licenses. The exam room equips several PCs for students. All students looked like younger than me.

TOEFL iBT is an internet based test. Almost all process is automated. I heard  some announcements occasionally that guided me not to be confused.

I cannot write about the contents of the exam because of the confidentiality policy. The difficulty of the exam is similar to one in reference books. Questions were well sophisticated.

I am afraid that the result is not satisfactory. It costs about $200 in Japan. It also takes more than 4 hours. Taking one more exam is a little tough for me.

Some politicians in Japan claim that taking TOEFL should become mandatory in high school. I agree with the opinion partially. TOEFL is useful for children not only to assess their ability of English but also to improve their learning style. However, we should not force them to take a particular type of exams in educational stage. Mandatory performing of an exam will be in name only.

1 comment:

  1. Great! I respect you for your new challenge.. I think that your effort will be fruitful in the future.
    For English education, I agree with you.. I think that Japanese people learn English "from writing" too much. They should learn it from listening and speaking more, though I do not know what is the best way to learn it.. Maybe one of the best way is watching TV show or movie repeatedly.

    Peet

    ReplyDelete