Thursday, May 14, 2020

Sleep behavior after COVID-19 pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed our daily life a much. Some people are now suffering from psychiatric symptoms. The article below mentions sleep disorder relevant the pandemic.


I have described about good sleep in this blog recurrently. From my knowledge and experience as a psychiatrist, I agree with the opinion written in this article above.

However, I do not believe COVID-19 pandemic causes us serious insomnia. Patients I meet at clinic seldom complain insomnia, unless specific situations. Rather, people take more sleeping time because of reduced work. Japanese are chronically lacking enough sleep. Perhaps after the COVID-19 pandemic, some people become healthier.

On the other hand, longitudinal effect of lockdown will be serious. Lack of exercise, financial crisis, reduced social communication, and loss of entertainment are each of risk for mental health. We should be aware of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment