Thursday, March 7, 2019

Annoying SPSS

SPSS is a leading software of statistical analysis provided by IBM. Most researchers use SPSS for examining the data they gained. It is almost essential for scientists to utilize SPSS.

However, SPSS has some disadvantages. First, SPSS is very costly. It takes over 1,000 USD even for minimal use.

Second, SPSS is very hard to use. The interface of SPSS is not sophisticated. Its quality is far inferior to Microsoft Excel.

And third, SPSS has several bugs. Statisticians say they do not recommend us to use SPSS because of many bugs. When I heard it for the first time, I imagined that there were merely technical issues around the calculation. But actually, there are many apparent and critical bugs in SPSS. For example, when copying the data of Microsoft Excel to SPSS spreadsheet, a line of datasheet disappeared. I had to check hundreds of lines of the data manually.

After all, I consider abandoning SPSS. It is critical for me if the bug led to an incorrect conclusion of my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment