Saturday, February 29, 2020

Sublingual immunotherapy for hay fever

I am suffering from hay fever for several years as I wrote before.

It is bad that the seriousness of this disease is getting worse by years because my body is exposed to allergen repeatedly. The last year was supposed to have become the worst spring.

Fortunately, however, sublingual immunotherapy saved me.

Sublingual immunotherapy is brand new treatment method for hay fever. The mechanism of this treatment is based on a hypothesis that hay fever emerges because you are exposed to massive pollen in spring all at once. As your immune system identifies pollen as enemy, your body makes sneeze and itching eyes. If your body is exposed to pollen everyday, you will become accustomed to pollen, as "immuno-tolerance."

You have to take medication everyday to induce immuno-tolerance. I have taken a pill including a small degree o the allergen for more than a year. Thanks to this, I have only very slight sneeze this year.

It is doubtful that this state will be continuous when stopping medication. Therefore, I cannot stop medication forever, perhaps. Nonetheless, I choose taking sublingual immnotherapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment